Friday, February 10, 2012

Magnets

We started our unit on magnets by writing in our science journals (I wanted them access prior knowledge).  After that, I showed this quick little video on Brainpop about Magnets

Next, we talked about how magnets have north & south poles.  I told the kids I wanted to see how strong they were- haha!  They all tried very hard.... but I said, "Sorry, only opposites attract!"


Then, we read a non-fiction book about magnets and used this magnet board from Lakeshore to see what was magnetic. 



Finally, we will use Mrs. Baxter's magnets, and some every day objects to make observations.  I found this great recording sheet from Kelly's Kindergarten.


I hope to do this with my kids next week!
Cut up pipe-cleaners and place them in a bottle. Use a magnet to manipulate them.
I'm cutting pipe cleaners and putting them in a plastic container.  Then we will use a magnet and watch them magically move!  It looks like so much fun!  I got the idea from pinterest (of course).

I also made a magnetic tree map-- click here to grab it!
Happy Friday!!!

Becky

2 comments: