Thursday, October 17, 2013

Third Grade Thursday- Fluency!

 
This week I wanted to share with you guys things I have been working on with my kiddos during RTI.  Drum roll please..... FLUENCY!
 
And silence...
Oh, so it's not just me!
You didn't do it very often with your kiddos either...
 
Well, I have decided to make it an important part of my lesson each day during RTI.
 
First, I wanted to establish the why behind fluency..  So, I found this FREE poster from MsJordanReads tpt shop!  This was the perfect way to explain why fluency is so important.
 
 
She has a wonderful blog post about teaching fluency.  I found oodles of resources in that post that are free and super helpful!
 
Next, I found a few different word lists.  To start out each session we take turns reading a list of words.  Some of them are real words and some of the lists are nonsense words.
 
 
I found this word generator to make me a new list each day!  I just took a snapshot of each list and added it to my ppt.
 
We also practiced phrases!
 
Finally, I explained what it meant to be a "cold read".  I gave them each a passage.  They were able to read it 3 times through.  By the 3rd time, I told them their tongue should be on fire because it was a hot read!!!  Of course, they thought I was silly...  But, I explained by the 3rd time, they should have some comprehension of the text they just read. I found a ton of free passages from the links below:
 
 
And, of  course you want to have data to show their progress.. Well, I was introduced to the website easycbm.com 
 
It is amazing and FREE!!!
 
You can pick a certain area to test your kiddo in.  Enter their score and it will have a beautiful little chart to display for ya!  So, in love!!
 
I also purchased this wonderful product during the FB sale!!!
 
SCORE!!!
 
I hope you have found this post useful.  If ya did, leave me some comment love.
 
Have a great rest of the week!!!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment