Friday, June 15, 2012

Kindergarten Daily 5- Chapter 1


1.Teaching & Learning Behaviors
This is something I seem to struggle with.. Just when I think I've modeled enough someone does something completely off the wall in my classroom and who do I blame-- of course the student!  WRONG-- the answer is me.  I need to model until those kiddos are carrying out my procedures in their sleep!
2. Expectations About The Students:
I need to realize that whatever I may think kids should know before entering Kindergarten.. they DON'T!  If I assume this from the beginning I will rule out frustration and confusion on both my end and the student.

3. Monitoring Student Behaviors:
Did that book just say the words self-moniter... hmm.. I need to see this in action before I believe it.  I'm not even sure how to go about implementing this.. **confused teacher**  I plan on implementing a 3 ring binder for myself to moniter them better using Erin's notecard idea.  Click here to see that post.
 
As far as discipline, if a student is off task, being disruptive, etc.. I have a chart where they clip down.  However, my kids also have the chance to clip back up (twice). 

4. Individual Student Not Exhibiting Desired Behavior:
I of  course just mentioned my clip up/down chart.  I use this to show that everyone makes mistakes.  It's how you act after you realize what you've done (kinda like God forgiving us).  I try (sometimes it's very hard) to be forgiving with them and show them how to be a model student.  They are rewarded by clipping up!  However, I need to focus more on what I am "noticing" rather than saying the same student over and over is doing great!  I'm sure that'd annoy me-- yes we know they never talk, yes I see that person writes better than me.. that's what they are thinking!  I want every student to want to be "noticed!"  Teacher: I notice you are working hard in your journal.  Good thing you're friends around you are not being disruptive.

5. Locus Of Control
I'm just not sure how I feel about this.. I LOVE the idea of letting them choose, be on their own, etc.. but I like structure just like every other teacher out there. So, the question remains... how to implement this successfully???

6. Whose Classroom Is It?
Which day do you mean?.. haha (joke).  Well, I'd love to act like I share it willingly.. but I'm a little selfish. So i'll confess-- I say it's mine.  But, I promise I'm working on the idea!

7. Where Are Supplies Kept?
Their eveyday supplies are kept at their tables.  However, their journals are not.. I think this needs to change. I'd save almost 5-7 minutes in transition alone if they had easier access to their journals.  I'm stilling working out a new classroom layout in head for the fall.  We shall see...
 
Don't forget to head over to Kindergarten Smiles for Ch. 2.

1 comment:

  1. I'm having a hard time with the self monitoring thing too. That and choice, but choice is chapter 2. ;) I just don't know how in the world I will be able to trust them to remember the procedures and to do the things without my "assistance". It's giving me anxitey just thinking about it. haha

    P.S. I'm your newest follower. :)

    ReplyDelete