Monday, December 8, 2014

26 Ways to Teach the Alphabet


There is something exciting about introducing and teaching the letters of the alphabet.  As years go by, we (teachers) tend to get into the same teaching patterns, and we forget to incorporate something new and fresh ideas in our teaching.

Some of these ideas have been around for a while, but I wanted to compile a list of fun and engaging activities you can use to teach the letters throughout the year.

Here are 26 ways to teach the Alphabet:

1.  Letter Find



2.  Letter Songs by Have Fun Teaching


My kiddos LOVED these alphabet songs!  It was the perfect way to grab their attention and introduce each letter.  We also listened to these all throughout the year during transitions and as a review.

3.  Letter Practice


After introducing each letter my students would fill in a circle map of everything that starts with that letter and then do some handwriting practice.  Click here to check go the practice pages.

4.  Play-Doh Letters


5.  Circle Maps


These are perfect to do whole group when introducing the letters.
I snagged this from Smedley's Smorgasboard's post on ABC Bootcamp.

6.  Starfall


I loved doing each letter on my Promethean Board or as a review for a quick introduction.  My kiddos also loved going to this site during computer lab.

7.  Letter Poems


These are from Mrs. Jones's Kindergarten.  I couldn't find any pictures of the letter poems we did in my class, but her's are adorable! You can check them out by clicking here.

8.  Craft Projects



9.  Letter and Number Sort


I use this at the very beginning of the year when I need my kinders to do something easy on their own.

10.  Alphabet Chart



11.  Letters Posted in a print rich classroom!


Excuse the picture.. For some reason I couldn't find a better view of my letters posted.  This was from our Kindergarten Graduation one year.

12.  Alphabet Books


I like to do these books after introducing all letters.  It gives me a great idea of who is still struggling and with what letters.

13.  Art Alphabet Book


I did this art book at the beginning of every year I taught K.

14.  Anchor Charts



15.  Do a Dot Letters


These would be especially good for Pre-k children.  I just LOVE these!!  I am going to print this out ASAP to do with Sara.  

16.  Magnetic Letters


17.  Sensory Alpha Activities


There were so many ideas on Pinterest for "Sensory Alphabet" I couldn't pick just one!  Just remember, every child learns differently, and especially ages 4-6 it is incredibly important to incorporate hands on activities!!!

18.  Interactive Pocket Chart & Anchor Charts


Until I had a Promethean Board (and still some after) I would use magnetic letters and this chart to act out the story Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

19.  Dr. Jean Songs


There are so many awesome alphabet songs.  This one is probably one of my favorites!!

20.  RTI Kinder Activities from Abby Mullins




21.  Dry Erase Handwriting Practice


I found these at Target in the dollar spot! Score!!!
These are great for an added Literacy Center, I'm done activity, homeschool or Pre-K fun and so much more!  You can even stick these in your busy bag for church!!

22.  Sound Sorts



23.  Magic Letters


Love this idea from No time for Flashcards.  

24.  Literacy Centers


If you're like me and you teach thematically, then incorperating the alphabet in centers is a must!  This simple center is in my February Math and Literacy Center unit.

25.  Chicka Chicka & Other Alpha Books


I ALWAYS do this book at the beginning of the year.  It's definitely one of my favs!  Here's my post about it.

26.  Alphabet Websites and Games


It look's like someone has created a Symbaloo with all kinds of websites for learning the alphabet.  Click the picture to check it out!

I hope you all found some great ideas that you will incorporate next time you plan to teach a letter!

Have a great week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment